Last updated: May 11, 2018
TOP 10 Construction Products
A Buyer's Guide to Construction SolutionsConstruction Software Buyer’s Guide
The construction business can be considered as one of the busiest industry (if not the biggest market) in history. From commercial, industrial, and residential sector, construction has been tirelessly providing solutions in building the infrastructures that stand against the test of time. Construction companies, millions of them, are absolutely needed for the development of any country.
The requirement for sophistication, robustness, and cost-efficiency from construction companies by many businesses, governments and private corporations has been a rising global demand over the last five decades. And while the search for highly skilled and talented project managers, construction managers, design engineers, construction engineers and project architects keeps on going, so is the need for the tools that will facilitate the proper execution of every construction project from ground to the top. The truth is that the right solution has already been invented quite a long time ago – the construction software. However, the challenge today to every construction business owner is to find the right software solution that will manage the programs, processes and information necessary to perform the various tasks in assembling the structures or infrastructures of this modern world. Everybody knows that it’s not easy job. That’s why we here from ITQlick.com have prepared and published this Buyer’s Guide which we believe will help every organization in line with the construction business in finding the right software solution.
Construction Management Software or simply Construction Software solutions come in various forms, specifications, and packages. Construction estimating, construction project management, and field management, which are commonly encountered terms in this industry, are all under the umbrella of construction management. The extent of a construction software solution is wider than one might think of and it basically covers the following areas.
- Project planning
- Financial budgeting
- Human resources planning
- Inventory management
Big solutions provider like SAP and Oracle further extends the span of their offered construction software packages to the real estate industry, more specifically in the management of assets and leases in a real estate portfolio. Relevant to this, here is the range of applications (which can be purchased either as an integrated or stand-alone application) that are included in a construction software solution.
- Project Portfolio Management
- Planning and Scheduling
- Project Execution
- Contract Management
- Project Financials
Subcontractor and Supplier Management
- Supplier Planning and Contracting
- Subcontractor Management
- Expediting & Tracking
- Procure to Pay with Landed Cost Determination
- Stock Transfer Order
- Returns Processing
- Reservation Processing
- Workforce Management
- Equipment and Tool Management
Real Estate Operations
- Asset Portfolio
- Lease Management
- Common Area Management
- Contract and Service Level Management
- Service Delivery and Operations
- Infrastructure Management
Planning and Business Development
- Real Estate Portfolio Management
- Marketing and Sales
- SMS Gateway for Real Estate Sales
- Marketing, Sales Reservation, Billing & Collection
- Commission Computation
- Opportunity Management
- General Ledger
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Asset Accounting
- BIR Forms and Reports
- Profit Center Accounting
- Cost Center Accounting
- Internal Order
- Cash Position
- Liquidity Forecast
- Manual and Electronic Bank Statement
- Check Warehousing
- Dashboard Reporting
An end-to-end construction software solution is one that manages all aspects of a construction project - big or small, local or offshore, in a harsh environment or not. In this respect, a solution that has all the features necessary to accomplish the project is of vital importance. What features of the solution can help your organization? What specific areas are these features intended for? These are just some of the questions that a buyer like you should provide intelligent answers with before implementing the solution in the construction battlefield.
From general to specific, and with the guidance of a construction expert, here are the features to check in a construction software solution.
Design and Construction Documents
- Change Orders
- Extra Work Orders
- Design Clarification Memos
- Quality Inspections
- Punch Lists
- Daily Logs
- Meeting Scheduler
- Meeting Agendas
- Meeting Minutes
- Action Items
- T&M Tags
- Job Site Photos
- Environmental Documents
- Custom Documents
- LEED Points
Financial Module Features
- Funding Sources
- Division, Program and Project Financial Summaries
- Contract Tracking
- Schedule of Values
- Pay Requests
- Contract Change Proposals
- Change Orders
- MS project and P6 integration
- Excel/CSV import/export
- Distributed Administration
- Add and Customize Folders
- Number of User Licensing
- Add Projects
- Web Browser Independent Interface
- SSL Encryption for secured data exchange between the browser and server
- Process Flow
- Keyword Search
- Print and Export
- Email notifications
Solutions per Business Size, per Vendor
From the types and features of a construction software solution that we enumerated above, your next question in mind probably is “Who provide these solutions?” The construction project manager and his team need to regroup and discuss this matter closely taking into consideration the current size and needs of the organization. We at ITQlick.com would like to provide our answer to this important question by laying down these three important considerations in the vendor selection process.
- If you’re looking for a robust solution, the integrated construction suite is for you. Organizations with large budget should consult with SAP and Oracle, vendors that provide these solutions. Mid-size business looking for the same solution should consult with Sage and ComputerEase.
- If you’re looking for a solution that is intended only for a specific area of your business, then the best-of-breed or stand-alone solution is for you. Paskr and Procore are excellent providers of stand-alone packages, such as the estimating and project management applications.
- If the solution you’re looking for does not belong on either of the two, then you’re probably a unique construction company and a specialized software solution is what you need. That could be a solution for your financial accounting, real estate operation, or customer management. Check Viewpoint V6, Sage 300, Quickbooks, Peachtree, Maxwell ProContractorMX and Construction Partner as they are the solution providers of these solutions.
Given enough time, try to explore this list of vendors where you can find the potential provider of your construction software solution.
- Primavera’s SureTrak
- On Screen Takeoff
- US Cost’s Success Estimator
- WinEstimator’s Modelogix
- Oracle Primavera’s “P6″
- Beck Technologies’ D-Profiler
- RocTek’s WinEx
- iPM Global iPM Project Management
- Viewpoint V6 Construction Accounting
Any construction software solution should be evaluated against the budget you have on hand. Whether it’s a choice between integrated suite and best-of-breed or between on-premise and cloud-based, any solution can be costly if you will not undergo the process of cost evaluation. And above all the costs to consider, it is the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) that matters the most. Here are some important considerations we at ITQlick.com would like you to focus on when evaluating TCO.
· Significantly, most SaaS-based solutions may require lower up-front cost than on-premise solutions because of the latter’s licensing cost. However, it is important that you account all future subscription payments for SaaS by using the Net Present Value (NPV) approach.
· Cost of hardware for on-premise solution adds up to the TCO. Management servers and additional workstation, plus their maintenance, are part of the investment. The SaaS solution is not an exemption. Some organization wants to backup their data by buying their own servers. Identifying these requirements during the planning stage can help you better manage the TCO.
Now, here is a list of solution providers and the licensing base-price of their offered solutions. This is a good starting point in understanding the TCO better, but we highly suggest that you conduct further research of these solutions.
PlanSwift:$850 per license
Viewpoint V6:$20,000 for 4 licenses
iPM Global: $2,500 per license
RocTek: $5,000 standard, $7,000 master per license
D-Profiler: $5,000 per license
Primavera P6: $2,500 per license
WinEst Modelogix: $5,400 per admin license, $2,900 per user license
Here are the latest trends in the construction industry that could guide you more on your research and analysis in finding the right construction software solution for your organization.
- The rapid emergence of Building Information Modelling (BIM), a project collaboration and management tool, is changing the way architecture, engineering, and construction project teams work together to solve complex design challenges and build better infrastructures. This is a clear indication that there is an increasing adoption of project collaboration solutions built specifically for construction management.
- Despite of the continuous growth of Software as a Service (SaaS) solution, the enterprise software solution is still the preferred option of many construction companies. But this is seen as an opportunity for many software providers to further enhance this technology in order to meet the construction industry standards and requirements.
- Mobile construction apps are already giving many project managers a lot of benefits during the execution of their projects.
- We are also seeing that larger construction management software vendors such as Constellation, Sage and Maxwell Systems continue to acquire smaller vendors.
ITQlick chart - 2018 best Construction Software
Finding the right Construction software for your business
Proper Construction software selections are the precursor to successful deployment and business growth. Finding the right Construction solutions doesn’t have to be complicated, and it doesn’t have to take days or weeks of your time.
After researching over 2,000 systems, we can identify the best solution for companies of all shapes and sizes. ITQlick.com is 100% free for software buyers.
Most Popular Construction software Comparison
Compare Price Quotes
25 MUST Ask Questions Before Buying Construction Software
The prime purpose behind investing in the software solution is to boost efficiency and growth. Ask the software vendor (BUILDERTREND SOLUTIONS, INC.) how their business app would improve efficiency of your enterprise.
BuilderTREND has tremendous exposure to different companies. They offer the same type of software to different industries, so they are better aware of who is doing what with their technological product. This also helps them understand and foresee whatâ€™s really working. Allow them to share their observations so that you get an ideas about their experience, expertise, and intelligence. This will also be an opportunity to identify the service providers who come up with the most insightful suggestions.
Perhaps your business is growing, will expand in the future and your Construction requirements with it. So you would be interested to know if BuilderTREND is scalable and can grow with you. Itâ€™s no use investing in a solution that can be scaled.
Each business has different needs. Yours is no different. When it comes to selecting a software solution, you are looking for a tool that can be easily customized and configured to cater to your specific business needs. So you want to understand if BuilderTREND you want to buy is easy to customize.
Such a community forum is the best way to engage users. Getting access to BuilderTREND forums can help new or proposed users connect with product experts through peer-to-peer discussions.
BuilderTREND should answer how their business software will improve your bottom line and ROI.Most service providers make tall claims, so you want to make sure you get your hands on the best solution.
Before choosing a business app, you want to understand that the implementation would be smooth. So you should be interested to find out about the person responsible for handling the implementation process. Do not hesitate to ask BuilderTREND about their qualifications.
A good software vendor should be able to show you a positive track record with their implementation strategy.Try to find out if BuilderTREND method is structured. Your purpose should be to look for one that is structured and flexible to adapt to unexpected situations.
The software vendor should give you a structured data conversion methodology that will enable smooth migration of your information to the new system.
A growing business is always in need for expansion and integration with thrid-party apps is a part of the growth model. When it comes to choosing software, make sure the business app provides an application programming interface for easy integration.
Ask the software product vendor if the tool will allow you to export data to an external file or import data from external sources.
Ask the software vendor (BUILDERTREND SOLUTIONS, INC.) if the software package includes consulting hours. Do not hesitate to ask if there are any hidden charges involved.
You do not want to be caught unawares when a software vendor sends a technician to resolve an issue that may crop up due to varied reasons. You want to make sure the charges are reasonable. Better still, you should be aware of what needs to be paid to the technician sent by the vendor to fix a problem.
You do not want to fall in love with the front end unless you are 100% sure that the software is compatible with your existing system. Ask the software vendor is you need any specific hardware to install the software. Will the business application run on your existing workstations. How much space will the software take on the disk drive? Is there a need for RAM upgrade to successfully run the software for optimum performance?
You should enquire about the cost of having more than one terminal in your store. While some software vendors charge on the basis of the number of store locations, others charge per terminal.
When you are looking for a software solution, make sure you know if the vendor charges any fee to get you started. You should also be interested to know if there are any software maintenance charges for you to pay.
Your business is accountable to customers, regulators, employees, and partners. So you should look for one software vendor who has adopted a comprehensive, technically sound security and compliance program. Does the vendor map your needs for security controls?
Data loss can prove extremely risky for any business. So you should always ask the vendor about their backup policy. How often is data backed up and what is the cost for the same?
What is the software vendor's policy on disaster recovery? Are any charges involved for disaster recovery support if a catastrophic hardware failure affects your system?
How easy is the software to work on? Is it user friendly for your end users? Does it involve any complexities that are difficult to understand for the team? Even a feature-rich solution is of no use if end users find it difficult to use.
BUILDERTREND SOLUTIONS, INC. should clearly mention whether the solution is complex or simple to use. If it is not an easy-to-use software solution, then do they provide training? What is the level of training your team requires to make the most of the solution?
You will be interested to know about the software updates. When is it updated? Does the service provider notify customers when the upgrades are scheduled? Does the software work when the upgrades are under way? How long does the process take?
You should be interested to enquire about how an issue is handled at the side of the software vendor. Do not hesitate to question about who will respond to your emergency calls. What is their experience in software industry?
If the software vendor is widely popular, chances are that they have a good product. So always check their client base to measure their product's competence in the market.
Testing is crucial to ensuring that the software runs as promised. So you should try to find out if the vendor offers any free trial runs or try before you buy the product. By testing the concept first, it gets easier to understand the software product's functionality and allay fears before signing a contract.